Monday, May 12, 2008

Learning My Lessons the Hard Way (or Why My Clients Are the Best!)

Since meeting them more than two years ago when my business was barely off the ground, Mary & Kacy have been among my most faithful clients... even though they probably shouldn't be! Their first shoot with me was also my very first shoot with my then brand new camera. I was absolutely mortified when I attempted to start shooting then realized my memory card was full of something other than pictures that I could not delete (long story, it happens.) I didn't yet know my way around the camera's functions and had neglected to bring along the manual... so I had to postpone our shoot for 45 minutes and race home to get it. Believe me, I cursed myself all the way home and back. I felt like the biggest loser ever! Thankfully Mary & Kacy were very kind to me and forgave me completely once they saw the pictures I created for them of their boys, Aidan & Ashton : ) Here are a few pictures from that shoot...

Skip forward about six months and we have scheduled a second shoot near their home in Redmond. Being unfamiliar with the area, I mixed up the park where we were supposed to meet with another a few miles away where I had done a shoot a month earlier. Of course my business was still a VERY low budget operation at that point and I could not yet justify purchasing a cell phone.... so I was madly driving around Redmond trying to find a pay phone to figure out where the heck I needed to be. I arrived for our shoot at least half an hour late with head hung low and tail tucked firmly between my legs. I could not believe I'd screwed up so badly with the same clients TWICE! In a row! It's a good thing I was blessed with this talent because once again, Mary & Kacy forgave me. Of course they have since confessed that between themselves they were wondering what the heck they had gotten themselves into with this crazy photographer : ) Thankfully we all laugh about those disasters when we see each other now!

I've had a great time documenting Aidan & Ashton's growth over the past two years so of course I was very excited when Mary told me last winter that she was expecting their third child. I knew right away the baby was a girl and I was right! With this little one due to arrive around the end of May, we got together a couple weeks ago to do a combo maternity/family shoot. We started indoors for some more private shots of Mary & her belly and then moved on to do some fun shots with the whole family!
The indoor location I use is a home-away-from-home for two little ones whose toy motorcycles Aidan and Ashton had a grand time riding while I was busy working with Mom... rock & roll, baby!And of course the post would not be complete without a couple shots of Mary and her beautiful baby belly : )
Mary & Kacy... I owe you infinite thanks for sticking with me from the very beginning! I can't tell you how much it means to me that you believed in me even when I barely believed in myself. With your help, I've learned so much that I needed to know... among many other things, my camera's manual is always tucked inside my gear bag and not only can I make phone calls on the fly, I can even TEXT : ) I hope you know how much I appreciate your willingness to let me use your family as my own personal guinea pigs! Watching Aidan & Ashton grow into little boys has been such a joy and I love that I was part of the process of naming your daughter... I can't wait to meet that baby girl!

No comments: