Sunday, May 11, 2008

It All Started With The Hat

It all started when Christian's grandma found a brown corduroy newsboy style hat just his size... it got her thinking it would be fun to do some Kim Anderson style photos of Christian for his Mother's Day gift to his mama. After months of searching, she finally found a little vest to go with the hat. Next came secretly raiding Christian's mom's stash of "clothes to be grown into" (and Papa's tie collection) for the rest of the ensemble. Meanwhile I was busy keeping my eyes open around Bellingham for just the right door for our own version of this Kim Anderson shot... I decided St. Paul's Episcopal Church provided the perfect doors so we met there last week to bring her idea to life. I don't typically make kids do this sort of thing because I don't want them to hate me, but Christian knows me pretty well already and I was pretty sure he'd get over our torture session eventually : )

I experimented a bit with an "aged photo" effect, but I think I prefer the contrast of the doors, Christian's clothes and the red, red rose in the full color versions.

I really love the way the hat makes this photo of Christian look so timeless... it could be of a boy born 75 years ago!

No comments: