Thursday, September 6, 2007

What you do for yourself, you do for others. What you do for others, you do for yourself.



Just when I thought I couldn't be happier about my work, along comes someone who reminds me that the very best thing about it is not the happiness it brings me, but the happiness it brings to others. This afternoon I received this beautiful message from Tee, the mother Alana, my most recent bride:

Thanks so much, you are the best! We have all been talking about the wedding since Sunday, and not only are your pictures beautiful and totally capture the moment, but having you there was like having a long time close friend around who just happened to take good pictures. I have been at weddings where the photographer was bossy and rude, and had to be in the middle and on top of everything. You blended in and were so awesome and easy-going, and your pictures are still outstanding. Your finger clicking is right on, not a second too late or too early, that is a great talent. You capture the emotion and the love a body and face generate, I am beside myself to see the rest of the photos and to have some hanging on my wall and to show off to my family and friends and people who probably don't want to see them (oh well, they can admire them anyway, even if they are some stranger I passed on the sidewalk!) I am a bit prejudiced, but I think Shaun, Alana, Kara and Tyson are the best in whole world. I am a very proud mom! Thanks for being there, and transferring the true beauty of my kids onto a piece of photo paper. From my heart, you are the best ever. Tee

Now, I have received some very glowing words of thanks from clients before but I must say, this message takes the cake! After sending off my humble words of gratitude to Tee, I went out to the garden and resumed my digging project with an unreasonably huge smile on my face. Within a minute I had collapsed into the patio chair, sobbing! My son Asher overheard me and came to see if I was alright. I nodded through my tears and he said "You're just happy, aren't you?" I nodded again and grabbed his hand and said "This is what it looks like to love your work, Ash..." I can only hope someday he'll be as happy with his as I am with mine.

Later I shared the message from Tee with my lifelong friend Naomi whose wedding I will have the honor of shooting on September 15. Her response says it all: "Wouldn't the world be a wonderful place if everyone got compliments like that for their work?" Indeed.

Thank you, Tee. You have no idea how powerful your words are to this girl who is finally living her dream : )

No comments: