Monday, September 3, 2007

Congratulations Alana & Ben and oh how I love my "job"!














Do you ever have those days at work when suddenly you are completely overcome by your love for your job? I experienced this phenomenon once again last evening after a full day of shooting Alana & Ben's wedding. It happened during the reception and went sort of like this... "OhmygoshI'mhavingsomuchfunIcan'tbelieveI'mWORKING!" If you're not familiar with this experience, it's time to find a new job! Speaking as a girl who's had her share of loathsome jobs, I truly wish everyone's work brought them as much happiness as mine now brings me!

I met Ben a few months ago when he was the oh-so-helpful manager of the Photo-Electronics department at the Fred Meyer store where I have prints made. Apparently he had seen enough of my work to approach me and ask if I ever did weddings. From there we were off and running!

I didn't meet Alana until we did their engagement shoot at Boulevard Park in July. The poor girl was so stressed by the wedding planning process that I asked her point blank why they weren't simply eloping! When Ben answered that it was so important to him to stand up in front of everyone he knew and loved to say "I choose this woman" I understood immediately why Alana was marrying him : )

It's so important to me that my clients feel comfortable with me that, after our first meeting, I admit I was a bit concerned about how Alana would respond to the stress of the wedding day but when I arrived at her apartment to begin the day of shooting, I found a comfortably relaxed bride - quite the opposite of me, I must say! My wedding day jitters begin the moment I wake up and I'm still trying to figure out the best way to overcome them. Apparently having the bride push a glass of wine in my hand as soon as I arrive is effective! (Thanks Lana!!)

I was quite nervous about this wedding because it was the biggest, most formal wedding I've done and the first I've ever shot inside a church. Despite being physically and mentally exhausted after seven whirlwind hours, I was so wired I could not sleep last night and I simply could not relax about the photos until I took my first peek earlier this afternoon. I had to call Ben and Alana straight away to tell them how ridiculously good the photos turned out! Looking back I'm sure I was feeling an extra bit of pressure after Ben confided to me that he'd turned down offers from several photographers wanting to shoot his wedding because he liked my work so much- how cool is that?! Good thing I shine under pressure!

I've pulled out a handful of my favorite shots to share with everyone... I can only hope that the images I captured somehow reflect for Alana and Ben the truly beautiful day they worked so hard to create.

To Alana & Ben... a simple "thank you" is not capable of expressing my gratitude for the opportunity to share your wedding day with you. Working my butt off has never been so much fun (and I really mean that!) Your friends and family were a joy to work with and the love surrounding the two of you was so completely obvious that it must have been infectious because now someone else loves you too : ) I sincerely wish you a life filled with good health and true happiness and I hope that when your "little Bennies and Lannies" join the family you'll allow me the honor of being their photographer too- I happen to love Portland! All my best to you!

PS: Thank you to Shaun & Kara for repeatedly telling me "You're doing great!"- your words of encouragement were so appreciated and really helped keep me going! Thanks also to Devon (with an "O"!) for having my back when the caterer backed his truck into my car- of all the things a photographer prepares for when shooting a wedding, having a bridesmaid approach you and say "I hate to tell you this, BUT...!" is not one of them! Thanks, girl : )















2 comments:

WS Townhouse said...

Beautiful!

LisaLooMarie said...

OH MY! I am officially jealous of how great they came out compared to my wedding pictures. How sweet of you to thank Ben and Alana by sharing your story about them.
You have an amazing eye for capturing the beauty and essence of the moment. It is just perfect that Ben saw your pictures. He should be a talent scout! Really... you have zero reason to stress ever again about a "job", you definitely have a natural photographers talent. Nothing looks forced or posed, they just look real, genuine and relaxed. You know just when to take the picture to sum up the moment. Fabulous! Amazing! Great work, you should be very proud!
Lisa Matthai
PS: Ben & Lana, Love you both lots. SO happy you are hitched! Have fun on your honeymoon! See you in Portland soon!