Thursday, August 6, 2009

Kind Words

SHP_FAV_NL (45)

I love it when clients share their thoughts with me about the photographs I’ve created for them. In fact those emails go straight to a file titled “Keepers” : ) Recently I received a message  from Steve, the father of the three kids pictured above- Autumn, Levi and their baby brother Dustin, taken three years ago during Dusty’s newborn shoot. Steve had the following to say about this photo…

I forgot to tell you again that the black and white you took of Autumn and Levi holding Dusty when he was only a couple weeks old, not smiling at the camera, just holding him at siblings, still takes my breath away three years later. It is by far my favorite picture in my life. It makes me smile and sends a tear running down my cheek.

I love this photo too. In fact, it is one of my favorite photos I’ve ever created. I’ve often referred to this photo as an example to parents of why not to get too uptight if a photo shoot seems to be going awry. You’d never guess by the sense of serenity exuded from this image, but it  was captured during a moment of total chaos. It was a hot day, the kids were sticky with sweat and none among them wanted to sit still, let alone touch each other. Somewhere in the middle of  the very vocal squirming protests and hard-core cajoling from parents, this beautiful moment happened and somehow I managed to capture it for eternity. 

For me, this photograph holds many messages. It’s a reminder that photos like this one cannot be created by force of anyone’s will – photos like this just happen. A forced photograph will always show itself for what it is, so I think it’s far better to just have fun and let the moments occur as they will : )  This photo is also a great example of why it’s really not all that important for subjects to be looking at the camera. This photograph would not be nearly as powerful if any one of the children were looking directly into the lens, let alone all three. Finally… I think the greatest message  this photo holds for me (and I suspect for Steve too)  is that even in the midst of utter chaos, a little serenity can be found and, if I’m ready, willing and able, I just might find it : )

Thank you, Steve, for your kind and thoughtful words. I’m happy to have created for a you a photo that evokes such happiness : )

No comments: